Resources for Families
Meet Trisha Dice, GUK Parent Turned College & Career Coach:
How GEAR UP Kentucky helps family members
Families are a priority in GEAR UP! Your support and encouragement are key to making your student’s postsecondary education dreams a reality. GEAR UP Kentucky provides resources, including the following, to inform you and help you engage with your student as they define and reach their goals for the future:
- GEAR UP Kentucky Families Facebook page: This page provides a space and place for parents, family members, and other caring adults of GEAR UP Kentucky students to come together, exchange info and ideas, and learn about ways to support student success. https://www.facebook.com/GUKFamilies
- Text Messaging: GEAR UP Kentucky provides relevant information related to your student via text messaging.
- 8th and 9th grade family members (those designated as contacts) will receive text messages from GUK College & Career Coaches related to what their students are learning about from GEAR UP Kentucky to help you continue the conversation with your student.
- 12th grade family members will receive text messages that will provide resources to help you engage with your students as they forge their future paths. You will also be notified of important deadlines related to applying for college and financial aid.
- Family members of students attending GUK partner colleges and universities will receive text messages that will provide resources to help you understand how to support your student through their first year of college.
- Events: GEAR UP Kentucky regularly hosts in-school and community events to help families:
- Complete applications for financial aid for college (FAFSA);
- Learn more about opportunities provided by GEAR UP Kentucky (like free summer camps on a college campus!)
- Identify ways to have a greater impact on student success in Kentucky, including leadership opportunities at the local and state levels;
- Celebrate their students’ accomplishments;
- And more!
In addition to these resources, your school’s GEAR UP Kentucky staff member is available to assist you and your student on an individual basis. Please don’t hesitate to reach out!